Seeing as how yesterday was the premiere of the 18th episode of the Big Bang Theory’s 7th season, I decided to write a few words about it.
I know a lot of geeks hate on the show a lot, and they see it as shallow and even offensive towards us. There are even quite a few blogs DEVOTED to how much somebody hates it.
I couldn’t disagree more. I think people these days are too touchy, and they tend to be offended by everything–come on people, let’s learn to laugh at ourselves a bit! Sure, all the miffed geeks out there are a little bit right that TBBT doesn’t delve too deep into the world of, say, comic books, and uses mainly general references to the superheroes to get laughs…but so what? It IS a sitcom, it’s SUPPOSED to get laughs. And do you really think 98% of the potential audience would „get” references to complicated comic book spinoff subplots most non-geeks have never even heard of? OF COURSE NOT. The remaining 2% of viewers might ‚get it”, but I’m pretty sure that’s not a big enough audience to even pay for the production costs of a single episode, much less seven seasons… And if us geeks can just look past all the butthurt about the show poking fun at us, we’d all see that it really is funny. The eccentric, nerdy scientists clashing with real-world issues gets me every time.
That said, I feel the writers are slowly running out of steam. Seven seasons is a long time, and to keep things interesting, the writers should think about some character development, especially on the Amy/Sheldon front, because that plotline is getting a little stale, as are Amy’s pathetic references about how badly she wants to get laid. Last night’s show was pretty good, but with every episode the need for something, ANYTHING to progress with these two is getting more and more pressing…their kiss was a great surprise, but it won’t change anything if the writers just go right back to the same old thing again.
Howard’s grown up and, despite his juvenile comments, he’s become a great husband—him and Bernie are perfect together. Even Leonard and Penny’s relationship has become more stable of late, and despite their many differences, they really do seem perfect for each other. Another character who could use some work is Raj, who’s gone from being adorably helpless to pretty pathetic.
All in all though, the show has made me laugh every week for the last couple of years, and I see no reason for all the geek hate.
What do you guys think?